Small Town Shopping Guide – Hudson, Ohio
I don’t know if you have heard, but between Black Friday and Cyber Monday, there is a new shopping day that was dubbed Small Business Saturday in 2010. Around the holidays it’s more important than ever to support the businesses and families in your local community,
My local community happens to be Hudson, Ohio. It also happens to be a fantastic little town for holiday shopping! The historic downtown is always lovely around Christmas. The day after Thanksgiving they have a big event to light up the square complete with caroling , luminaries and the lighting of the green.
If you are in Northeast Ohio (or feel like taking a little roadtrip), Hudson is a great place to spend a day or weekend. Here are some of my personal favorite stops downtown for shopping and eating…
- The Learned Owl Bookstore: This beautiful traditional bookstore is right Main Street. While small, this bookstore is packed with beautiful editions of classics, coffee table books and a wonderful children’s selection. The staff is super friendly and very knowledgeable.
- The Land of Make Believe: Find something special for the kid (or kid at heart) in your life. The Land of Make Believe is an old fashioned toy and puzzle store and worth a stop.
- The Green Roots Collection: I just discovered this new shop a few months ago. They carry lots of made-in-the-usa, on trend clothing. It’s one of my new favorites.
- Crazy But True – Gourmet Popcorn: Flavored popcorn is a classic christmas gift for co-workers and holiday parties. Crazy But True has the largest collection of sweet and savory popcorn I have ever seen. Stop in and sample a few and you will most certainly take a bag home. Be sure to try the Hudson Blend!
- Vignettes: Vignettes is the best place in time to find beautiful home goods and holiday decorations. They really deck the shop out for the holidays too. It’s one of my favorite shops to peruse.
- The Cookery at The Western Reserve School of Cooking: Have a budding chef on your list? A seasoned pro in the kitchen (see what I did there? Queen of puns!)? The Cookery has an extensive collection of cooking supplies, cook books, luxury pots and pans, aprons and more.
- Heather’s Heat & Flavor: A unique shop that specializes in exotic hot sauces but also carries spices and other gifts. You can find it in the new shopping area down town.
- The Greenhouse: In my opinion, no one does prettier holiday windows than florists. Around Christmas they deck out their whole store. It’s certainly worth a visit.
- Main Street Cupcakes: If you can get there early enough to snag a box of cupcakes, I highly recommend adding this stop to your list. Fall cupcake flavors include apply pie, sweet potato fluff, cranberry crunch and pumpkin roll. A mixed box would be a great hostess gift or treat for your co-workers.
- The Gray Colt: This store has been on Hudson’s historic Main Street for over 50 years. It specializes in women’s clothing but has a beautiful collection of handmade and local gifts too.
Stop for lunch, dinner or dessert at one of our favorite spots…
- Flip Side: This is our favorite local place to grab a bite. Amazing burgers made from Ohio grassfed beef, fries made by hand with a hefty sprinkle of herbs and sea salt and spiked shakes for the grown-ups. My personal favorite is the Shawn’s Burger which is topped with a fried egg with the Chef’s Shake (complete with a little shot of rum).
- Hatties’s Cafe: Located on the corner of Main Street, in what used to be Saywell’s Soda Fountain, Hattie’s is a cafe and soda fountain run by the Hattie Larlham Non-Profit Organization. The dining room is large and warm with a working fireplace. Perfect for soups and sandwiches with a hot chocolate or hand blended malt.
- 3 Palms Pizzeria: The newest restaurant in our downtown, this pizza joint is a new addition to our food repertoire. Stop in a split a Neapolitan style pizza from the wood fire oven. The dining room is beautiful. They also have a wonderful Italian bakery with fresh breads, desserts and gellato!